Category Archives: Barn of the Year

Barn Of the Year Recipients 2013

Agricultural Use:

Terry Randall Barn – Terry and Diane Randall

Purchased by his father in 1954 when he started his milk herd. An earlier barn with hewn timbers was moved a short distance and added to the back of this bank barn in 1926. Barn is currently used for hay and equipment storage and to house calves and beef steers. Repairs are constantly being made and the barn was repainted in 2012.

boty-randall-1 boty-randall-2 boty-randall-3

Adaptive Re-use:

Brookside Farm – Wayne Emerick

This 1884 barn, part of a 120 acre working farm, has a capacity for 300 guests on its 6,000 square foot main level and is famous for hosting weddings and other ceremonies nearly every weekend of the year.

boty-brookside-1 boty-brookside-2 boty-brookside-3

 

Stewardship:

Gish Barn – Richard and Denise Weis

A very early example of a Pennsylvania barn or forebay bank barn with “outshots”. It has double granaries and double threshing floors. The barn underwent some of the most extensive repairs we have ever seen in an effort to save it for future generations.

Thanks to everyone who entered!

2012 Barn of the Year Winners

Each year, at our annual conference, we are proud to present our Barn of the Year awards in three categories. The Agricultural BOY award this year was presented to The Poorman Barn, built in 1819 in Somerset, Ohio. We don’t often have the chance to see a barn with this rich a history. This beautiful Pennsylvania barn, with its cut stone foundation and deep forebay has been in constant use for nearly 200 years. Nick Wiesenberg took core samples from nine of its timbers and microscopic analysis confirmed the original date as well as timbers that were cut in 1854 for the barn’s later addition. The original barn was scribe ruled as evidenced by the marriage marks carved into its timbers. It also displays a unique double framing system looking like two barn frames in its interior. The Poorman family is to be commended for maintaining this working barn, one of Ohio’s finest, in great condition for several generations.

poorman-winner

Left to right: Ric Beck, Dan Troth, John Poorman, Jason Poorman, Jim Poorman

poorman-barn

We are pleased to have awarded Crown Point Ecology Center our Barn of the Year for Adaptive Re-Use. Built in 1910, the bank barn has two unusual interior silos that were for storing silage to feed cattle and horses on the ground level. A hay track enabled storage of hay to its roof and was accessed by tall ladders still found in the barn. The barn has been well maintained over the last 102 years and today serves for program space for “children’s educational events, adult enrichment activities regarding the growing of toxin-free vegetables, rain-barrel Spring classes, Dances of Universal Peace and a diverse group of adult gatherings for communicating the care of all life on planet Earth.” This barn is a perfect example of how we can find ways to save some of our best old barns and put them to good use for generations to come.

crown-point-winner

Left to right: Ric Beck, Chris Norman, Dan Troth

crown-point

Our third award is for a category we just started last year. As judges, we have received many entries over the years that had not found an adaptive re-use and were not being used for agricultural purposes. Nevertheless, they were being well maintained by their owners and kept from decay and destruction. They realized the value and history the barns represented. We felt they too should be recognized and we therefore created the Stewardship award. The Oyster Barn, near Alliance, is a marriage of two barn types, the very early period double crib log barn and the tree bay timber framed barn. It is a double forebay with an overall length of 57 feet. Its original logs are 18-20” in diameter. At some point the log barn was converted, a floor was added and a scribe ruled hewn timber frame was built on top of it within ten or twenty years of its original construction. We need Nick to do dendrochronology on this barn to determine when the log structure and the timber frame were actually built but judging from the evidence, it was all completed in the early 1800’s. We once again applaud their efforts to preserve these early icons of Ohio’s agrarian past.

oyster-winner

Left to right: Ric Beck, Joan Hochstetler, Dan Troth, Jane Hochstetler

oyster-barn

Friends of Ohio Barns is already looking for entries for our 2013 Barns of the Year:

  • AGRICULTURAL USE: Barns are judged on their continued agricultural use, physical condition and the efforts made to preserve them.
  • ADAPTIVE RE-USE: Barns are judged on their present day use, the completed restoration work, aesthetics and their significance, exposure to and accessibility to their surrounding community.
  • STEWARDSHIP: Well maintained barns that do not meet the above categories but serve a family function such as storage or an entertainment structure not readily accessible to the public.

Send in your entries to Dan Troth, 7591 Perry Road, Delaware, OH 43015 or email him at [email protected]. Deadline for submissions is March 31st, 2013.

Barn of the Year Winners announced at the Ohio Barn Conference XII

Another great crop of barn submissions were judged prior to the recent OBC XII and the winners were:

Stewardship Award

Richard Finke from Fairfield Co. He has an 1830’s Pennsylvania bank barn rich in local history that Mr Finke protects.

Agricultural Award

Steve & Debbie Miller also from Fairfield Co. They are caretakers of 3 rare double overhang barns on this historic homestead. They are being used for grain and hay storage.

miller

Adaptive Re-Use Award

Robert & Sandra Routzahn from Crawford Co. They dismantled and rebuilt a circa 1900 gambrel barn into a home for the couple. It has a 30×40 clear span space in the main living area with garage and bedroom additions.

routzahn

Thanks to everyone who entered!

2009 Barn of the Year Award Winners

Awarded for Adaptive Re-Use:

2009_boty_ar

Bill Fling was the recipient of the adaptive re-use award for his barn on the Fling family farm. Bill’s great grandfather, Albert J. Fling bought the farmstead around 1900 and began building the barn in 1902. The 2 story ground barn was utilized for storage and horses on this 200 acre working horse farm until 5 years ago when the thought came to Bill to remake the barn into a place for gatherings.

The Flings worked with local carpenters to repair and modernize the barn so it could become a facility that hosts weddings, reunions, and private parties. There is 3000 sq. ft. of floor space in the old milled timber structure with wet bars, a performance stage, dance hall, and outdoor deck for relaxing. Early Americana items decorate the barn, many, no doubt from the barns previous life.

The Flings have taken it a step further by providing for horse drawn carriage rides to enhance the bridal experience. They also provide in house catering, and hire a local band favorite to provide entertainment. It looks like a lively way to adapt and old barn into a new use! Members and guests will get a first-hand look at the Fling Farm this fall when Bill hosts our fall picnic, so come join us!

Awarded for Agricultural Use:

2009_boty_ag

The award for agricultural use went to Dr. Ed Martinek. Mr. Martinek purchased the farm and German style bank barn in 2007, and set out to restore the 1851 structure to use in some sort of agri-business or agri-tourism. The original owner was Micheal Swigart who it is believed farmed their as early as 1812. The family cleared and broke the virgin soil, then lived and farmed there for several generations.

Ed Martinek saw the value in the old barn, and understood the significance the barn had with the community. In 2008 Ed hired the Architectural Reclamation Inc. company to begin the restoration process. They preserved the corn crib, granary, and stone foundation while adding some modern amenities such as upgraded electrical service, stairs and additional framing to withstand heavier loads. The barn features gunstock style posts and has two intact 60 ft. summer beams.

The crew of Architectural Reclamation nominated Mr. Martinek for the award in part because they were justifiably proud of their work, but also because they were happy that someone had the foresight to take a once prominent part of the community and restore it for another 150 years of service. It is currently serving as storage for hay and farm equipment.

2007 Barn of the Year Award Winners

Awarded for Adaptive Re-Use:

2007_boty_ar

Ric Beck presents Melissa Camp the 2007 Barn of the Year Award for adaptive re-use of the barn at Shepherd’s Corner. It is owned by the Dominican Sisters, St. Mary of the Springs and is located at 987 N. Waggoner Rd., Blacklick, OH.

Awarded for Agricultural Use:

2007_boty_ag

Ric Beck presents Lloy E. Funk with the 2007 Barn of the Year Award for Agricultural Use. His bank barn is located at 841 County Road 1600, Ashland, OH.