Awarded for Adaptive Re-Use:
Bill Fling was the recipient of the adaptive re-use award for his barn on the Fling family farm. Bill’s great grandfather, Albert J. Fling bought the farmstead around 1900 and began building the barn in 1902. The 2 story ground barn was utilized for storage and horses on this 200 acre working horse farm until 5 years ago when the thought came to Bill to remake the barn into a place for gatherings.
The Flings worked with local carpenters to repair and modernize the barn so it could become a facility that hosts weddings, reunions, and private parties. There is 3000 sq. ft. of floor space in the old milled timber structure with wet bars, a performance stage, dance hall, and outdoor deck for relaxing. Early Americana items decorate the barn, many, no doubt from the barns previous life.
The Flings have taken it a step further by providing for horse drawn carriage rides to enhance the bridal experience. They also provide in house catering, and hire a local band favorite to provide entertainment. It looks like a lively way to adapt and old barn into a new use! Members and guests will get a first-hand look at the Fling Farm this fall when Bill hosts our fall picnic, so come join us!
Awarded for Agricultural Use:
The award for agricultural use went to Dr. Ed Martinek. Mr. Martinek purchased the farm and German style bank barn in 2007, and set out to restore the 1851 structure to use in some sort of agri-business or agri-tourism. The original owner was Micheal Swigart who it is believed farmed their as early as 1812. The family cleared and broke the virgin soil, then lived and farmed there for several generations.
Ed Martinek saw the value in the old barn, and understood the significance the barn had with the community. In 2008 Ed hired the Architectural Reclamation Inc. company to begin the restoration process. They preserved the corn crib, granary, and stone foundation while adding some modern amenities such as upgraded electrical service, stairs and additional framing to withstand heavier loads. The barn features gunstock style posts and has two intact 60 ft. summer beams.
The crew of Architectural Reclamation nominated Mr. Martinek for the award in part because they were justifiably proud of their work, but also because they were happy that someone had the foresight to take a once prominent part of the community and restore it for another 150 years of service. It is currently serving as storage for hay and farm equipment.